Monday, April 1, 2013

That Time I Joined the Circus by J.J. Howard


That Time I Joined the CircusTitle: That Time I Joined the Circus
Author: J.J. Howard
Release Date: April 1, 2013
Publisher: Point
Source: Publisher (Netgalley)
 
Synopsis: Lexi Ryan just ran away to join the circus, but not on purpose.

A music-obsessed, slightly snarky New York City girl, Lexi is on her own. After making a huge mistake--and facing a terrible tragedy--Lexi has no choice but to track down her long-absent mother. Rumor has it that Lexi's mom is somewhere in Florida with a traveling circus.

When Lexi arrives at her new, three-ring reality, her mom isn't there . . . but her destiny might be. Surrounded by tigers, elephants, and trapeze artists, Lexi finds some surprising friends and an even more surprising chance at true love. She even lucks into a spot as the circus's fortune teller, reading tarot cards and making predictions.

But then Lexi's ex-best friend from home shows up, and suddenly it's Lexi's own future that's thrown into question.

With humor, wisdom, and a dazzlingly fresh voice, this debut reminds us of the magic of circus tents, city lights, first kisses, and the importance of an excellent playlist.
 
My Review
That Time I Joined the Circus was one of my most anticipated books of 2013, and I can say that it didn't disappoint. The characters were good, the story was nice, and come one, who doesn't want to join the circus?
 
I thought Lexi was a really likeable character. She didn't hide behind the tragedy that happened to her, nor did she use it as an excuse to get what she wanted. She was willing to go out and try to make it on her own. I also really loved the music aspect of her; I thought it was a nice touch. Eli was my other favorite character, even though he didn't show up until the end, but what he did for Lexi in the end just made me do crazy giggles. 
 
I'll admit, this book was a little slow. I was expecting a lot more from a circus book, more action and adventure. But it wasn't super slow so I kept on reading. I didn't really like how this book was told in alternating chapters of Lexi's past and present, and I think it took away from the circus aspect of the book. I also didn't think some of the information in those past chapters was necessary. We also don't find out how what happened in her tragedy until the end, and I had kind of lost interest. This book really picked up at the end, so overall I think the plot was good.
 
The circus in this book was  really nicely described. I could picture myself there, but I wish there had been more of it because if this book is supposed to be about a circus, why are we talking about New York. I truly enjoyed the writing of the book, and I liked how it wasn't a love driven book (even though sometimes I didn't know who Lexi was dating).
 
Rating: 4/5 worms
Overall, this was a good book. I think everyone would like this.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I got the book as an ARC too! I was really excited for the book, but I didn't enjoy it like you did. Check out my review of the book at www.myviewpointonbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete