Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Rose Throne by Mette Ivie Harrison


The Rose ThroneTitle: The Rose Throne
Author: Mette Ivie Harrison
Release Date: May 14, 2013
Publisher: Egmont USA
Source: Publisher (Netgalley)
 
Synopsis (Goodreads): Ailsbet loves nothing more than music; tall and red-haired, she's impatient with the artifice and ceremony of her father's court. Marlissa adores the world of her island home and feels she has much to offer when she finally inherits the throne from her wise, good-tempered father. The trouble is that neither princess has the power--or the magic--to rule alone, and if the kingdoms can be united, which princess will end up ruling the joint land? For both, the only goal would seem to be a strategic marriage to a man who can bring his own brand of power to the throne. But will either girl be able to marry for love? And can either of these two princesses, rivals though they have never met, afford to let the other live?
 
My Review
The Rose Throne really let me down. I was hoping that it would live up to the synopsis, but unfortunately, that wasn't the case. This book just dragged on for me and I found it hard to read and not very enjoyable.
 
Ailsbet and Marlissa were the two main characters in this story, and honestly, I felt that there really wasn't anything special about them. I was hoping for two very strong and relatable characters and I didn't really get that. I felt that they had some strengths, but mostly felt flat. I also didn't think that I could really relate to them, because I didn't really feel that they showed much emotion throughout the book and they just felt flat.
 
The plot was also rather slow. I liked reading about the court scenes, but sometimes that was really all that we read about. I wanted more from the story. I felt like the book dragged a bit as well, but it picked up a little bit at the end. The ending also bugged me, because nothing was really tied up, and while that doesn't usually bother me, I felt that there should have been something that let us know even a little about what happened to the two princesses.
 
The writing style was average. I really don't know what else to say. There weren't a ton of descriptions, so I don't even remember what the castle was like. I also didn't feel that the love interest was played out very well. I didn't know anything that was going on with him until close to the end of the book, and by then I really didn't care.
 
Rating: 2/5 worms
Though I hate to give any book a low rating, I didn't feel any connection towards this book. I thought everything was rather slow and flat, and the love interest wasn't done well for my taste.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment