Saturday, March 9, 2013

Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)Title: Game of Thrones
Author: George R.R. Martin
Release Date: May 28, 2002 (first published January 1, 1996)
Publisher: Bantam Books
Page Number: 811
Format: Paperback
Source: Own
 
Synopsis: Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom’s protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens.

Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.
 
My Review
This is the longest it has ever taken me to read a book, but I don't regret it for a minute. While this book is one of the longest I have ever read, I adored it and I wasn't bored for a minute.

I was really nervous to pick up Game of Thrones because of it's size. I thought I would be reading it forever and that I would get bored and just quit reading it, but that's not what happened at all. Game of Thrones is told in alternating perspectives, so the story is always changing and no two characters are ever the same. This book also has lots of action, because it's a high fantasy, so there were fights which made the story even more interesting. And the last 300 pages of this book were crazy, and this book literally ripped out my heart and jumped on it, because this is not a "happy" book all of the time.

The writing and world building were fantastic. The world building was so amazing, that at times I felt like I was right there with the characters. I felt like the things that were happening were really happening, if you get what I'm saying. George R. R. Martin also has a way of making you feel really emotions toward his characters and he makes reading this gigantic book not a chore that needs to be finished, but something that you want to do.

I have so many favorite characters in this book. George R. R. Martin made you love or hate them, and by the end of the book I felt like I had known my favorite characters for my entire life. And in case anyone is wondering, my favorite characters are: the Stark family (except for Sansa, I didn't really like her at all times), Jon Snow, and Dany Targaryen (I can't spell her first name). At first, the amount of characters in this book overwhelmed me, and I didn't know how I would remember them all, but you do remember them, and I adored when my favorite characters chapters came along, and I dreaded when they ended. I don't know what it was, but George R. R. Martin made me care for characters like I haven't done in a long, long time.

Rating: 5/5 worms
If you are intimidated by this books large size, don't be. I adored it and I can't wait to continue on with the rest of the series!

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment