Thursday, March 6, 2014

Don't Even Think About It by Sarah Mlynowski

Don't Even Think About It
Title: Don't Even Think About It

Author: Sarah Mlynowski
Release Date: March 11th, 2014
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Format: Ebook
Source: Netgalley

Synopsis(Goodreads): We weren't always like this. We used to be average New York City high school sophomores. Until our homeroom went for flu shots. We were prepared for some side effects. Maybe a headache. Maybe a sore arm. We definitely didn't expect to get telepathic powers. But suddenly we could hear what everyone was thinking. Our friends. Our parents. Our crushes. Now we all know that Tess is in love with her best friend, Teddy. That Mackenzie cheated on Cooper. That, um, Nurse Carmichael used to be a stripper.

Since we've kept our freakish skill a secret, we can sit next to the class brainiac and ace our tests. We can dump our boyfriends right before they dump us. We know what our friends really think of our jeans, our breath, our new bangs. We always know what's coming. Some of us will thrive. Some of us will crack. None of us will ever be the same.
So stop obsessing about your ex. We're always listening.

My Review

I really enjoyed Sarah Mlynowski's Magic in Manhattan series, so I had high hopes for this book, and I can say that I wasn't disappointed. I really enjoyed this book, and I'm glad I got it for review. 

The concept of this book was crazy unique. I mean, come on! A flu shot that gives you telepathy! That's kind of awesome. I thought Sarah Mlynowski was able to deliver this topic through the kids very well, because we got to see what the kids with telepathy were thinking and feeling in this book. 

Although the plot was something I'd never heard of and played a major role in this book, I felt like this book was more character driven. The characters play a huge role in this book because you get to see their reactions to their new found superpowers, and you get to see what each person used their telepathy for. I also really liked how the characters, for the most part, stuck together as a group to try to figure out what was wrong with them.  
However, I didn't like trying to keep up with all the characters. It took me to the middle of the book to figure out who each one was, but after that it was easier to follow. 

In my opinion, the writing style of this book lacked some of the sparkle that it had in the Magic in Manhattan series. It didn't have the descriptions I was looking for, and it didn't have the funniness and wit that I remembered from her previous books. But, all in all, I think Sarah Mlynowski did a great job of creating this story. 

Rating: 4/5 worms

No comments:

Post a Comment