Sunday, June 1, 2014

Second Star by Alyssa B. Sheinmel


Second StarTitle: Second Star
Author: Alyssa B. Sheinmel
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Release Date: May 13
Source: Netgalley
Format: ebook
Page Number: 256
Purchase: Book Depository
 
Synopsis (Goodreads): A twisty story about love, loss, and lies, this contemporary oceanside adventure is tinged with a touch of dark magic as it follows seventeen-year-old Wendy Darling on a search for her missing surfer brothers. Wendy’s journey leads her to a mysterious hidden cove inhabited by a tribe of young renegade surfers, most of them runaways like her brothers. Wendy is instantly drawn to the cove’s charismatic leader, Pete, but her search also points her toward his nemesis, the drug-dealing Jas. Enigmatic, dangerous, and handsome, Jas pulls Wendy in even as she's falling hard for Pete. A radical reinvention of J. M. Barrie's classic tale, Second Star is an irresistible summer romance about two young men who have yet to grow up—and the troubled beauty trapped between them.
My Review
This book was beautiful. Absolutely wonderfully awesome. I have been obsessed with Peter Pan retellings ever since I read Tiger Lilly and I was so happy to get my hands on a copy of Second Star for review.
 
The retelling aspect of this book was perfect. I thought it was done brilliantly and I couldn't have thought of a better way to do it. I really enjoyed the surfing aspect of the book, because it was really unique and different. I liked how most of the story was original with some aspects of Peter Pan woven in. It took me a little while to get into the story, but when I did, I was completely involved and I loved it.
 
The characters in this book were really, really good. Wendy was very focused on finding her brothers, and while she was sometimes naive, I really liked her. As for Pete and Jas, well, I couldn't pick a side in that love triangle. Both love interests really cared for Wendy and it was interesting to see the differences in each of their relationships. All the side characters, such as Belle, were also really interesting to read about, and they added a lot of flavor to the story.
 
The whole last half of this book completely got to me. I wasn't expecting that sort of an ending at all, and I was blown away. The last half of the book went by so fast and I loved every second of it. This book deals with Wendy's struggle to try to find her brothers, and it was so fantastic. The writing in this book was also wonderful, and it made me want to drive to a beach and read.
 
Rating: 5/5 worms
This book was absolutely wonderful, and I think anyone would really enjoy it.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment