Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Gift of Charms (The Land of Dragor) by Julia Suzuki

The Gift of Charms (The Land of Dragor)
Title: The Gift of Charms
Author: Julia Suzuki
Publisher: Dino Books
Release Date: September 4, 2014
Pages: 288
Source: Author

Synopsis (Goodreads): In a secret land, far away from the habitation of man, dwell the world's remaining dragons -- hoping the dragsaur beasts have vanished forever. Here they try to live their daily lives, but all is not well and their talents are fading. 
Things change, however, when, from a strange egg, Yoshiko is born - a dragon with a unique destiny. 
Great adventure lies ahead as many challenges must be overcome, leading to a dangerous mission to the human world in attempt to return to the clans their missing magic!
Can Yoshiko make it in time?

My Review

I had never heard of The Gift of Charms before the author contacted me to review it, but I'm really glad that I read it. It's a really cute middle grade book that I flew through. 

The Gift of Charms tells the story of a dragon named Yoshiko, who is born different then any other dragon. It tells the story of his adventure that he undertakes and is a really quick read. I thought that the writing style was really easy to fall into and it kept me engaged throughout the book. I wish that the book would have gone a little more in depth and been a little bit longer, but it is a middle grade book so I totally understand why. 

I thought the world of Dragor was really interesting to read about, as well as the back story about this incredible land. There was a lot of information in this book that got carried throughout the story, so you got to see characters and events that were mentioned earlier come back in the end. The land of Dragor was described very well and I could picture the setting very well. The characters and clans were also described really well, and I had no trouble picturing the colored dragons. 

I found that I liked the main character Yoshiko more as the book went on. He started out rather whinny, and kind of hard to relate to, but as the book went on he really grew up both mentally and physically. He turned into a character that I enjoyed reading about. The other characters in this book were nice to read about too, especially Guya. I liked reading about some of the side characters stories, and would have liked to have known even more about them. 

Rating: 4/5 worms
This book is a very well written middle grade book that I would recommend to anyone who wants a fun and quick read! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment