Thursday, December 13, 2012

Vixen by Jillian Larken


Vixen (Flappers, #1)Title: Vixen (Flappers #1)
Author(s): Jillian Larken
Release Date: December 14, 2010
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Page Number: 432
Format: ebook
 
Synopsis(Goodreads): Jazz . . . Booze . . . Boys . . . It’s a dangerous combination.

Every girl wants what she can’t have. Seventeen-year-old Gloria Carmody wants the flapper lifestyle—and the bobbed hair, cigarettes, and music-filled nights that go with it. Now that she’s engaged to Sebastian Grey, scion of one of Chicago’s most powerful families, Gloria’s party days are over before they’ve even begun . . . or are they?

Clara Knowles, Gloria’s goody-two-shoes cousin, has arrived to make sure the high-society wedding comes off without a hitch—but Clara isn’t as lily-white as she appears. Seems she has some dirty little secrets of her own that she’ll do anything to keep hidden. . . .

Lorraine Dyer, Gloria’s social-climbing best friend, is tired of living in Gloria’s shadow. When Lorraine’s envy spills over into desperate spite, no one is safe. And someone’s going to be very sorry.
 . . .
My Review: I picked up Vixen because I hadn't read any books set in the 1920s and I didn't know much about flappers, and I thought it would be interesting to expand my horizons. I didn't want go go out and buy a book I didn't like, so I got it on my Nook from a library and began to read. I loved the book as I began to read and that feeling continued for most of the book.

Vixen was set in the 1920s with flappers in sparkly dresses, speakeasies in the most unexpected places, and people from the mob smoking their cigarettes on streetcorners. The 1920s aren't something I know a lot about, so I thought it was really interesting and fairly different from what YA does a lot of now. Aside from a few spots that felt kind of like I was in the modern day, this book did a really good job of making the world come alive. The plot also did a really nice job of bringing this book to life. It was pretty good with a few slow spots, but otherwise really nice.

Vixen was told in alternating perspectives of our three main characters Gloria, Lorraine, and Clara. And right off the bat, I didn't like Gloria. She seemed different from the other characters, everything came easily to her. And I hated her romance. One moment the guy she liked didn't like her, and then he did, and she acted like she was in love the moment she saw the guy, when she didn't even know him! But I really liked Clara and Lorraine, because they had interesting stories and their emotions felt real, while Gloria's just felt fake. And I really liked Clara's romance, because it didn't just happen, it gradually happened over time.

Jillian Larken's writing style was okay. There were times that the chapters seemed really long (especially in Gloria's case) and I got bored. Her writing style didn't capture me the way I was hoping it would, but I enjoyed reading about the 1920s, so her writing style was pretty much average.

Rating: 4/5 worms
The 1920s aspect of this book and the characters were what made this book really enjoyable for me. This is one that I think isn't really known, but a lot of people would probably like it.



 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment