Friday, August 10, 2012

Review: Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay

Juliet Immortal (Juliet Immortal, #1)Title: Juliet Immortal (Juliet Immortal #1)
Author(s): Stacey Jay
Release Date: August 9, 2011
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
 Pages: 307
Format: Hardcover


Synopsis(Goodreads): Fans of Maggie Stiefvater's "Shiver" and Becca Fitzpatrick's "Hush" will relish this intense paranormal love story featuring Romeo and Juliet, literary history's most tragic couple, who meet again, not as true lovers, but truly as enemies.
The most tragic love story in history . . .
Juliet Capulet didn't take her own life. She was murdered by the person she trusted most, her new husband, Romeo Montague, a sacrifice made to ensure his own immortality. But what Romeo didn't anticipate was that Juliet would be granted eternity, as well, and would become an agent for the Ambassadors of Light. For 700 years, she's fought Romeo for the souls of true lovers, struggling to preserve romantic love and the lives of the innocent. Until the day she meets someone she's forbidden to love, and Romeo, oh Romeo, will do everything in his power to destroy that love.


My Review: I didn't like the original story of Romeo and Juliet. Let's just get that out there. I didn't like it because I didn't think it was a fantastic love story. I didn't feel like Romeo and Juliet really connected. But that's just my opinion. I liked Juliet Immortal a little more.

I  was a little confused about Juliet's character. She started out strong, doing her job to help lovers connect. Yeah, she was a little bitter and filled with hate, but come one, her true love killed her. I would be mad too. But then she meets Ben, and that's when her character started to fall apart. She was still kind of strong, trying to resist her feelings for Ben but she still wanted to be with him and that was obvious. And when they finally got together, I had some mixed feelings. I was happy that she found someone like Ben, but I was still mad because she kept saying to herself that she shouldn't be with Ben, couldn't be with Ben. So, yeah, Juliet and I had a small problem with each other.

I was also confused with Romeo and Juliet's relationship. They had been enemies for 700 years, and all of a sudden Romeo tells Juliet that he loves her again? Yeah, buddy, you had your chance.

The idea of this book made up for the fact that I wasn't impressed with Juliet's character. I really liked the idea of the Ambassadors going inside some one's body and helping two soul mates realize that they are perfect for each other. And I liked that Romeo and Juliet were enemies, even if they only fought once and then Romeo tried to convince her to love him again.

The ending was okay. I was expected a total all out battle, but I just got a knife to the gut and a shooting. But I liked finding out what happened to Juliet [spoiler] once her specter took her away. And it was good to find out what happened to Romeo after he was forced back into his body. [end of spoiler]

Rating: 3/5 worms
This book was really hard for me to rate. I liked about half the book, but I had some major issues with the rest.









No comments:

Post a Comment