Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Review: Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen

Someone Like YouTitle: Someone Like You
Author(s): Sarah Dessen
Release Date: May 1, 1998 (Published again May 11, 2004)
Publisher: Penguin
Pages: 281
Format: Paperback


Synopsis(Goodreads): Halley has always followed in the wake of her best friend, Scarlett. But when Scarlett learns that her boyfriend has been killed in a motorcycle accident, and that she's carrying his baby, she's devastated. For the first time ever, Scarlett really needs Halley. Their friendship may bend under the weight, but it'll never break--because a true friendship is a promise you keep forever.

Random Thought: Every time I look at this book, I start singing Adele's Someone Like You. I don't know why, because this book is nothing like the song. I think its the cover, but that's just me.

My Review: I was a little let down by this book. Having just finished Just Listen by the same author, I had very high expectations for this book. But it didn't have the writing that I had loved so much. So, for me the writing in this book was okay. It wasn't as deep as Just Listen but it had a way of telling the story that was all its own.

The main character, Halley, was so stubborn and naive at times, but she always cared for Scarlett. I really loved her for that, but sometimes I got frustrated with her character. Scarlett on the other hand was absolutely brilliant. She was strong and caring and fantastic. She acted so well when she found out she was pregnant, getting extra hours for her job so she could afford to keep her baby. I absolutely adored her.

I didn't exactly love the plot. I thought it was good but it wasn't fast like Just Listen. However, I loved going along with Halley's point of view throughout this book and seeing how everything played out. Because of the slower plot you really got to know the characters, and I really like that in books.

Rating: 4/5 worms


No comments:

Post a Comment